Ages 16 & Up | Lifeguard Training
The YMCA Lifeguard Training course is the most comprehensive program available, including certifications in CPR/AED, Basic Life Support, First Aid and Oxygen Administration. Training in equipment-based rescues for aquatic environments, accident prevention, and decision-making skills prepare participants for employment.
Participants must be 16 years old before the start of class. Attendance, full participation and successful completion of written tests and performance of all water skills are required.
Participants must be able to:
- Tread water for at least 2 minutes
- Swim 100 yards of front crawl
- Swim 50 yards each of front crawl with head up, sidestroke, breaststroke, breaststroke with head up, inverted breaststroke kick with hands on stomach
- Perform a feet-first surface dive in 8 to 10 feet of water and then swim underwater for 15 feet
- Perform a series of tasks given by the instructor to demonstrate listening and scanning ability as well as stamina and endurance
Items to Bring to Class:
- Swimsuit and Towel (for females a one-piece suit is required)
- Proof of Age
- A student under the age of 18 must bring a minor permission form sign by parent and participant
- Fanny Pack, Whistle, and CPR mask (these will be provided after completion of physical competency test)
- Change of clothes
- Open Mind