Summer camp is quickly coming up. We want to make sure that your camper has everything they might need to have the greatest camp experience ever! Summer camp is the perfect place for kids and teens to try new things, make memories, and create friendships that will last a lifetime. Y Summer Camp registration has already started. Now we just need to start getting the equipment your camper will need ready.
Summer Camp Style
Having the right clothes can make all the difference in your camper’s summer camp experience. It’s important to have enough clothes for each of the days, which will be right for the activities they will be doing. Depending on the kind of camp, there may be some specific items that your camper will need, like dance shoes for a dance camp. Some of the common items needed for summer camp include:
- Clean Clothes – While you’ll want to try to pack as light as possible, you’ll still want enough clean clothes to get your camper through their time away. Take into account the weather and activities, and plan outfits around that.
- Shoes – You’ll want your camper to have the right shoes for the activities they are doing. Make sure that their shoes are broken-in and comfortable so they can fully enjoy their activities. For activities at the pool or lake, including a pair of flip-flops or sandals will be a great addition to their packs.
- Hats – A lot of time is spent outside at Summer Camp. Having a good hat will help to protect your camper from the summer sun.
- Swimsuit – There are often many water activities at camp. Whether it’s swimming at the pool and playing at the lake, you’ll want to pack a swimsuit so your camper can dive right into the fun.
- Pajamas – A cozy pair of pj’s can make all the difference to help your camper get a good night’s sleep.
- Socks and Underwear – Can’t forget these everyday essentials. You’ll want to make sure that your camper has enough of each packed for their time at camp and maybe a few extras, just in case.
If your camper is staying at an overnight camp, they may need to bring their own bedding. A good night’s sleep is essential to making sure they are ready for the day’s activities. Packing these bedding items will help get the sleep they need to enjoy camp to the fullest:
- Mattress Pad
- Pillow and Pillowcase
- Sleeping Bag
Camping can be dirty. If your camper will be away for a few days packing the necessary toiletries will be essential to helping them maintain their hygiene.
- Shower Caddy – We’ve all had those moments where we try to carry more things than we can in our hands. Packing a shower caddy can help your camper carry their things to and from the bathroom area with ease.
- Brush / Comb
- Towel – If your camper will be participating in water activities, packing an extra towel can help make sure that they always have one that will be dry.
- Feminine Products
In addition to the necessities, these items can come in handy for any camper going to Summer Camp:
- Flashlight – Once “lights out” comes around, you’ll want your camper to be able to find their way around if they need to. Don’t forget to put in some fresh batteries too!
- Reusable Water Bottle / Canteen
- Bug Spray
No matter the camp’s type or length, you’ll want your camper to have everything they need to make the most of the experience. Checking in with the camp organizer ahead of time to see if they have a recommended item list can be one of the best ways to know what things you should, or shouldn’t, pack. The Y offers various Summer Camps tailored to meet the interests of your camper. Summer 2021 registration is already open! Find the right summer camp for your camper and register today!